Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Speak...Lent Photo-a-Day


Speak…A word that seems to cause me to have writer’s block.  I have the opportunity to “speak” and I am at a loss for words.  I shut my computer down last night because I was just staring at the screen.  Now the screen is before me and I should “speak”.  The bible passage that keeps popping into my head is a well-known verse.  James 1:19 – “Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger.”  Too often we are quick to speak to make sure our voice is heard and we forget to take the time to hear what is being said.  Do we “listen” by preparing our rebuttal in our head or do we really take the time to truly hear what is being said?

I am guilty of not always hearing what is being spoken to me.  When my son talks about football stats I find my mind drifting all over the place.  If the conversation is a conversation that leaves me feeling defensive I also do not always hear what is being said.  I am more worried about what I am going to say than really hearing what is being said.  In both instances I have missed out on an opportunity.  I could’ve connected with my son and had conversation about what he enjoys.  I could’ve also heard how the other person was really feeling and acknowledged their position. 

Scripture is full of wisdom; yet, we turn to other sources to gain wisdom.  God gave us great advice in James and it is in such a simplistic way.  It is not a 7-step program, it is simply stating be careful how you speak to one another and tune into what others are saying.  Live life with God’s wisdom being your guide.   


Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment