Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Peaceful Sleep


Does peaceful sleep elude you?  Do you just want to lie down, close your eyes, and fall into a peaceful sleep?  Psalm 4:8 states, “In peace I will lie down and sleep; for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”  Sleep, peace and rest are all things we look for in the hectic society we live in today.  David was looking for the same thing so many years ago.  Just think…he wasn’t connected to work via blackberry 24/7.  He wasn’t managing a lifestyle that prides itself on being busy all the time.  David was managing a lifestyle of enemies surrounding him.  He was King and had to make some tough decisions.  He was constantly being watched.  Whether it is today’s society or a few thousand years ago sleep, peace, and rest are important!

David said, “In peace I will lie down and sleep…”  What a sweet thought - to lie down and rest peacefully.  However, the author of the book “A New Song” posed a very interesting thought.  “I can’t help but wonder what song I carry with me as I lay my head on the pillow each night.  Too often, it’s a litany of the day’s problems drumming a steady beat in my head.” (Fryar, pg. 74)  Does that sound familiar to anyone?  Sometimes I wish I had an on and off button for my brain!  Oh, how I desperately need that off switch at times. 

The crazy part in all of this is Christ is the “off” switch.  The second half of the verse notes, “For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”  Therefore, I have nothing to worry about!  I have all the reassurance I need that I am taken care of.  Then why does the brain not shut off?  I feel like the disciples in the boat as they cried out for help and Jesus says, “O you of little faith.” (Matthew 8:26)  The bible passage might as well be saying, O Cheryl, you have little faith.  The promises have been given and I still choose to worry.

Worry, doubt, lack of rest, and any other uninvited word one that can be put in the list is satan’s way of working his way into our life.  I Peter 5:8 “Be sober-minded; be watchful.  Your adversary the devil prowls around you like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”  If we are consumed with worry, doubt, lack of rest, etc. then the devil is doing a pretty good job of devouring.  If we cannot shut off the brain, the devil is willing to add his two cents into the “conversation” running through our head. 

Remember to let Christ be your “off” switch!  He will take care of you; in fact, He has everything under control!  There is no need to worry.  Peaceful sleep can be yours!

Cheryl
  

No comments:

Post a Comment