Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Are you Weary?

Psalm 6 is a Psalm of lament.  It is one that David pours his heart and soul out to the Lord.  Specifically looking at verses six and seven, David is drained.  The first words in these verses are “I am weary…”  His weariness is shared in the prior verses.  He states, “O Lord, rebuke me not in Your anger, nor discipline me in Your wrath…”  “My bones are troubled; my soul also is greatly troubled…”  “O Lord, deliver my life…”  For in death there is no remembrance of you…” Then we have verses six and seven.  “I am weary…every night I flood my bed with tears…my eye wastes away because of grief.”

Wow!  It is exhausting just reading those words let alone truly feeling those words.  We, as sinners, are asking our Lord not to rebuke us in His anger nor discipline us in His wrath.  We deserve nothing less.  We sin over and over and over again.  In fact, we sin the same sin over and over and over again; nonetheless, we are asking our Lord not to discipline us with His wrath.  Go figure! 

Despite the fact that we continually sin, we have a Savior that chose to die for us.  He chose to pay the price for us sinning over and over and over again.  He felt the physical pain of being hung on the cross all because we sin; yet all we have to do is believe and we are forgiven.  Go figure!  Acts 10:43 notes, “To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins through His name.” 

Psalm 86:5 states, “For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you.”  This brings me back to Psalm 6 – “I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears…”  The moaning and tears are because the Psalmist, David, is calling upon the Lord.  He is pouring out his heart and it is causing him to be weary and broken hearted.  The weight of sin is overwhelming!  Psalm 88:9 notes, “My eye grows dim through sorrow.  Every day I call upon you, O Lord; I spread out my hands to you.” 

Do you call upon the Lord every day?  We sin every day; therefore, we should be calling upon Him every day.  Sin, something we do all the time, gets brushed under the carpet and “forgotten”.  Yet, the weight of sin overtime can truly drag us down.  We should be calling upon the Lord daily bearing our hearts and souls to Him because we need that forgiveness.  We don’t have to be weary.  We are covered in His grace.  He has extended His forgiveness!

Lamentations 3:22-23.  “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.”  We get to start new every morning!  Don’t start your morning with the weight of sin because you chose to shove it under the carpet.  Call upon the Lord daily!

As we spend time this Good Friday reflecting upon the magnitude of what our Savior has done for us, come to the foot of the cross asking for forgiveness.    

Cheryl   

No comments:

Post a Comment