Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

How do we pass on the faith?

The title of the blog is Passing on the Faith.  How do we do that in our own "little" world?  James 1:22 says, "But be doers of the word, and not hearers only..."  The bible is filled with instruction and promises that are meant for us and everyone on this earth.  In order to know those promises and instructions we need to be in His word and have it visible to us on a daily basis.  As we become more aware of his promises and instructions we can share that with our family, friends, co-workers, classmates, neighbors, the list is endless!

Idea... 
Post a bible passage somewhere in your house and spend the week focusing on that bible passage. 

Bible Passage for the week...
James 1:5  "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him."

We all face things that we simply do not know what to do with.  Ask God!  He says he will give the wisdom generously. 

Where to post the bible passage...
  • on the fridge
  • on the bathroom mirror
  • in your car
  • on your kitchen table
Talk about the bible passage...
  • while having dinner
  • while driving in the car
  • while doing yard work
  • while talking with a friend on the phone
  • while doing dishes
All get involved...
  • If you have children have them post the bible passage in a chosen place
  • Share how God has given you the wisdom to get through...
  • Simply talk about how the Lord was present in your life today
I will post a bible passage a week for you to put in your house and focus on for the week, or pick your own bible passage and focus on that for the week.

Cheryl

3 comments:

  1. Cheryl - Thanks for posting this verse! I needed it! I used it today for my bible study and wanted to share…

    First, when I read a verse, sometimes I like to look up words in the dictionary to get a better understanding of what the author (in this case God via James) is saying. So I looked up reproach…

    Reproach: express one’s disapproval of or disapproval with someone.

    Amazing, we ask and are given despite our past mistakes/decisions. How many times have I gone to the Lord and asked for him to clean up my mess? More than I want to admit!!! I always ask my husband “Does God provide for the Stupid?” And today I found a verse that says “YES” without PREJUDICE!

    Then, I read onto James 1:6 “But when he asks, he must believe and NOT DOUBT!” Of course I’ve doubted God's plan lately. Yet again I’m reminded not to lose hope. Something wonderful is right around the corner! Matthew 21:21 & Mark 11:22-24 say that if we have faith and do not doubt then we can move mountains! That’s pretty powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great verse and a dynamic one to post. I need to post it in various places to remind me to ask God first before I run myself ragged trying to come up with my own ideas and solutions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to trust and not doubt, yet that is what we are called to do. We say we trust that God will provide, yet we look at our situations and question whether He is providing.

    James also goes on to say "...because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do."

    The Message translation (idiomatic translation) states it as follows: "Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves. Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open."

    ReplyDelete