Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

What You Learn in 3868 Miles...

Have you ever spent hours and hours in the car traveling with your kids?  I have spent many hours in the car with my kids but it is usually with my husband.  However, this time the beginning of the trip was going to be just me and the kids; Dan would join us later.  This meant three days of traveling with no assistance in driving or helping with the kids.  I was slightly nervous, but this was the only option available to be able to celebrate the wedding of friends. 

In all 3868 miles traveled so much was learned.  One thing we learned is we can sing our hearts out and no one can hear us.  Music brings people together!  We sang all different kinds of songs, laughed at how bad we sounded and sang louder.  We also played road trip scavenger hunt and I noticed how observant the kids really can be.  Their vision was quite profound! 

This trip provided opportunities to spend with friends as we made our way across country.  The Lord has truly blessed us with amazing friends that willingly open their homes for us.  The kids and I had the opportunity to enjoy a state park in Iowa with a friend.  It was a great way to expend some pent up energy, spend time in God's creation and visit.  While venturing on one of the paths we found a bridge that makes for a perfect picture opportunity. 


 In Nebraska, my husband joined us and we were able to attend the wedding of friends.  The location of the wedding was beautiful and the little chapel provided the backdrop for the wedding.  The wedding was outside on a hill with the sun setting in the background.  Sitting and listening to the couple say their vows while I was surrounded by my family was a great reminder of how the Lord blessed me 18 years ago with an amazing husband.  Time was also spent reflecting on all that has happened in 18 years.  Truly astonishing how the Lord has provided and abundantly blessed us!   

We left Nebraska and headed for South Dakota and spent time with friends there.  While we were there the moon was brilliant.  My daughter was spending time 4-wheeling on the farm and she called me to tell me I had to get my camera.  I am so glad she called because the beauty was stunning!  I love seeing God's creation through the lens of my camera and what I noticed was my kids are starting to see the beauty of God's creation.  They notice how beautiful things are or how different things are and make comments.  So many times we get "lost" in life and forget to see the beauty surrounding us.  I am so grateful my kids see the beauty of God's creation!


This trip also allowed for family time.  We were able to spend time at both family farms and enjoy farm life.  The kids were so excited to see the new farm dog and pitch in where help was needed.  Life on the farm was how my husband and I grew up and watching my kids embrace farm life is a joy to watch.     






Finally, as we were traveling God's promises were shining through!  The picture does not do this rainbow justice as at the peak of the rainbow the colors were brilliant!  After all the years since Noah, God still lets us know He keeps his promises!

What you learn in 3868 miles is that we are truly blessed in so many ways!  Taking time to reflect upon on all the blessings is humbling. 

I pray you are all enjoying your summer!  I will be back to updating the blog on a regular basis now that I have returned.

Cheryl

1 comment:

  1. There is so much around us to see, if we open our eyes. I bet the vision continues for the kids where ever they are.

    ReplyDelete