Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Prayer - A New Level

Prayer Life

My prayer life was taken to a new level when I went to recording my prayers in a book; or what some might call a prayer journal.  I can contribute this idea to books such as "Praying in Color" by Sybil MacBeth or "Writing to God" by Rachel G. Hackenberg.  Both books offer great ideas but I adapted my own style and what worked for me.  My prayer journal uses one page each day - front and back.  The front focuses on a section of scripture and the back focuses on the prayers.  The front is filled with thoughts and other scripture that support the verses I am looking at.  Then on the back, my prayers for the day begin with what I focused on in scripture.  For instance, if the verses talked about endurance I prayed for endurance. 

By writing my prayers down a couple of things happened.  First, I am able to truly focus as my mind wanders less.  Second, I can go back and look at what prayers I had.  In that, I can see how the Lord answered those prayers, how He was with me throughout a troubling time, and the blessings I have been given in life.

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday and I challenged you to fill your days drawing closer to the Lord as we reflect in this time of Lent.  Prayer deepens the relationship one has with Christ.  So for the next 40 days, I am going to offer a section of scripture to consider looking at.  Then take time pray in whatever manner works for you.  Find a notebook to write out your prayers.  Look back after the 40 days and see how your relationship with Christ has grown. 

Psalm 6:1 - 2    
 
O Lord, rebuke me not in your anger,
nor discipline me in your wrath.
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;
heal me, O Lord, for my bones are troubled.
 
 
Share with the Lord why you are languishing.  Ask for His graciousness to be upon you.
 
Cheryl

1 comment: